The Holistic Alternative
Cannabis is a safe alternative to antidepressants, as most prescriptions have side effects that are mostly negative, cannabis consumption has shown to alleviate feelings of sadness without any negative connotations. From 1999-2012 the number of people worldwide who regularly take antidepressants doubled from 6.8% to 13%, according to the Journal of American Medical Association.
Cannabis is a faster working route to take than anti-depressants, because cannabis stimulates the endocannabinoid system which is naturally found within human bodies. Endocannabinoids are chemical compounds found in the brain that activate the same receptors as THC, and have been shown to be helpful in treating depression that's typically caused by chronic stress. Studies have shown that cannabis helps restore endocannabinoid levels in your brain, therefore, relieving stress and easing depression.
Chronic stress actually reduces the production of endocannabinoids, of which are naturally found to be typically high in people who aren't stressed out; when the production of endocannabinoids are reduced, it effects your body a lot like a reduction if serotonin which is a chemical also found naturally in the human body. Serotonin works as a neurotransmitter and helps regulate your mood, similar to serotonin, your endocannabinoid system is just as important to maintain when it comes to keeping a positive and healthy lifestyle.
There's clearly a link between the body's endocannabinoid system and depression; recent studies have shown that people who suffer from mental disorders even as extreme as PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome) experienced a 75% reduction in symptoms after experimenting with treatment of cannabis rather than a prescription alternative. There are many benefits to taking this route, one being not having to juggle a ton of pills and worrying about the risks of each; some prescriptions are extremely expensive, none the less just downright dangerous to take.
Here are a few strains that are particularly awesome at alleviating feelings of sadness, and rather, improving your mental and physical state of well-being:
· Jack Herer- A sativa-dominant strain that's cherished for its uplifting effects. Users have found themselves happier, creative and uplifted.
· Pineapple Express - A sativa-dominant hybrid, known for its blissful qualities, and always a crowd favorite when it comes to having a good time (star of "Pineapple Express" the classic, comedy movie) and striving for laughter.
· Harlequin- A solid, high CBD-Sativa. This strain usually has a 1:1 ratio of THC to CBD, therefore will help alleviate any stress in your body without completely altering your state of mind; CBD is a cannabinoid which helps counteract anxiety, pain and depression without any psychoactive effect.
· Cinex- This strain is a straight Sativa across the board, and is always a winner when it comes to helping you feel creative, happy and uplifted. I suggest using this strain while hiking, gardening or doing anything creative.
· Skunk #1- This strain is popular among growers, as it's been used to create many fantastic hybrids. Skunk helps you feel creative and happy, yet also can help with appetite loss.
Remember folks, depression is real, and not even half of the people who suffer daily from the disease are being cured or know of the potential of cannabis. Do your research and talk to your doctor before stopping any prescription medication and remember how much cannabis can help you without any harm done.